Monday, November 26, 2012

Three Songs for Morning-Bus-Ride

Every morning, I enter the bus and I am headed to my university. It's one long boulevard - a 20 minutes frenzy bus ride. I have time to play few songs, but always in my music selection I have three specific songs I would like to play.

1. Radiohead - 2+2=5

I started listening this song last year when actually my English teacher played it on one of our classes. We needed to use this specific song and think of how we can make an advert out of it. It was funny exercise actually and afterwards I got addicted to the tune. I imagined an old grey man sitting on his bed in a dark room. He enters the bathroom and he uses some new random shampoo. I advertised a shampoo in my imagination with this song. The old men leaves the bathroom all refreshed and new, opens the window and so on and so on.
Why am I writing this? So, I enter the bus every morning. Skopje is quite a grey city in autumn and winter. It's also polluted city. Polluted by politicians, by trash and kitsch and ugly sculptures and fountains. It makes me think, this city would need a lot of 'shampoo to get all washed up'. However, it's not only the politicians fault. It's the people as well. 2+2 makes 5 for most of men and not only here in my country, but look at it on a global level. In the first place, Radiohead produced this song in 2003 as a reply to Americans selecting George Bush as a president (if I remember well). For Americans, it was conspicuous that 2+2 makes 5 by making such choice.They were not paying attention.

2. Muse- The 2nd Law: Unsustainable

Muse's latest album again throws the real light on our society. The female voice included in this track openly sends the message what will happen if you continue to be unsustainable.

All Natural and Technological processes proceed in such a way
The availability of the remaining energy decreases
In all energy exchanges if no energy enters or leaves an isolated system
The entropy of that system increases
Energy continuously flows from being being concentrated to becoming dispersed, spread out, wasted, useless
New energy cannot be created and high grade energy being destroyed
An economy based on endless growth is UNSUSTAINABLE.

The fundamental laws of thermodynamics will place fixed limits on technological innovation and human advancements
In an isolated system, the entropy can only increase
A species set on endless growth is UNSUSTAINABLE.

3. Muse- Madness

Finally, I have to play this other song from Muse. Human emotions.

Cheers,
Trickster

No comments:

Post a Comment